Sunday, November 2, 2008

NaNoWriMo Prologue----

Prologue: Circling Mars

My whole life I’ve had an affair with the stars. I’ve never been able to explain it to well in words, and only those who share my passion seem able to understand those things for which there are no words. As Nergal 1 first orbited around Mars the entire crew and I shared a moment that can never be replicated in any form.
It was on Saturday April 7th 2085 at around 11:30pm EST when we made the first orbit around Mars, or that was the time that NASA received our radio transmission, and what has now been formally written in the world’s history books. Time works differently in outer-space though. Without the rising, and setting of the sun to mark our days the passing of time seemed to have become irrelevant. The trip to Mars was a scheduled eight months, but day by day, and week by week it all seemed to pass in the blink of an eye. Now was the moment that we (The Nergal crew) had talked about, trained for, and dreamed off. We’d been together as a crew for five years and now we were literally circling our dream. Time didn’t mean a thing to us then.
I was in my “Office” when Captain Quincy’s voice came on over the communication channels. He greeted everyone, and after formally stating the time, and date he announced that Nergal 1 had finally entered into orbit around the red planet. Even though I was alone at the time I would like to believe that everyone on that ship was anxiously holding their breath at the same moment that I was. Whether they all did or not I’ll never know, but it wasn’t until after a few seconds that the first hollers of joy began to echo their way along the ship’s tubular walkways. I excitedly hung my clipboard onto the wall and was on my way to find a window when Captain Quincy came back onto the comm. Line. He asked the entire crew to gather in the control room.
Being in on the ship’s inner chambers I was one of the last of the 10 man crew to arrive. Everyone was gathered at a one of the room’s many windows. All chattering excitedly as they took their closest look at Mars. I made my way over to the nearest window which was already occupied by the Missions two geologists Jeff Durham, and Jan Gretel. The view was amazing. We were located above the upper region of Tharsis, and in my very first glimpse I was the Solar Systems largest mountain, Olympus Mons. In my studies of Mars I’d seen pictures of this twenty-six kilometer high volcano I was left breathless as I looked down on it with my own eyes.
When the last of crew finally came together Captain Quincy caught our attention. In referencing my video journals I was able to find the following quote which is word for word what he said “Crew of the Nergal 1. You know I’ve never been one for long words, but I do feel it is order to say a few things concerning what is now happening to us. We are making history, and have been doing so for the past five years. Everything that we’ve worked for, and sacrificed since the planning of this mission now finds itself embodied right outside our window. It has been my honor, and privileged to work with some of the world’s finest scientists, aviators, and technicians. You truly are all one of a kind, and I would like to take a moment to honor someone who gave up more than us all for this mission. Someone who wishes he could’ve been here with us today, but has since passed on. Could we please just have a minute of silence for William England.” As we all turned our heads back to the windows in silence I still remember clearly my first thought. “It’s so red.”

4 comments:

Will Thomas said...

Reminds me of the documentary I just watched, "In the Shadow of the Moon" It was interviews with about half of the men that have been to the moon (now all in their seventies) along with original NASA footage. Highly recommend it if you are interested in writing about space exploration. These are the only men to have left earth and gone to another planet, the only men that have viewed the earth in it's entirety in one view. They had some great insights.
http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/movieDetails/333478

Dan Thomas said...

I had trouble picking up the setting. I must not have be with it.

Love,
Dad

NelsonFam said...

I was surprised by how well written this piece was. It makes me want to know the entire story.

Sandy said...

Me too, Laura! Keep writing Seth. Beside, I really admire the guy named William England. :>